Uber is a great way to be your own boss and make money. Most people are eligible to drive with Uber, even if you don’t have a car. Here’s what you need to know if you’re driving in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth or Durban.
1. Sign up online
Got an email address and a smartphone? Great, now tell us a bit more about yourself and we’ll get you started.
2. Upload your documents
Time for some paperwork. There are some of the documents we need to see: Time for some paperwork. There are some of the documents we need to see:
- A valid South African Professional driving permit (PrDP)
- Complete a safety screening
- Pass a driving evaluation
- You have to be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Provide a driver profile photo
3. Get a vehicle
Please note all vehicles are activated through a priority process.
You may not sell, rent or transfer your Uber profile or “slot” / “software license”, as this is against Uber Partnership Terms and Conditions.
Your vehicle must-haves
- Model year 2011 or newer
- 5-door hatchback or 4-door sedan or minivan
- ABS, passenger and driver airbags safety features fitted
- Good condition with no cosmetic damage
- Operators Card (Double disk)
- Commercial vehicle insurance
- Vehicle inspection in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth or Durban
- Vehicle certificate of registration
- Operating License from the department of transport
- In Cape Town? Please provide your Vehicle Owner ID and Proof of Parking.
5. Activate your account
If you’ve completed all the above steps, congratulations! You’re ready to activate your account and start making money.